emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My Father received a Form 1099-ltc showing $64675.00 Benefits

Customer Question

My Father received a Form 1099-ltc showing $64675.00 Benefits received. He lives in a nursing home with alzheimers and will not ever come home. These are marked per diem in box 3. He spent 45400.00 in nursing home charges.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Am I able to deduct any of the nursing home charges on his Sch a since the per diem benefits are greater than the charges for the Nursing home?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. No, you cannot use the per diem amount. If the box is checked it only means that the distribution was calculated on per diem basis. You will use form 8853, page 2. If you father is classified as terminally ill, check box on line 16 and enter 0 on line 26 and line 21 on 1040. The entire amount is not taxable. If not, follow the lines to complete the form. You can use actual expenses paid on Schedule A.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
What's your question?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
If it wasn't terminal, than check no on line 16 and follow the line to the line 26.