Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

Our business imports product from China and sells direct to

Customer Question

Our business imports product from China and sells direct to another business headquartered in Tennessee. They have warehouses in 15 states that we ship to but bill their Tennesse headquarters. Our corporate office is in Nevada. However we have a small logistics/invoicing office in California. Our server is located in the California office. Currently, we generate and e-mail from this California office but do not pay California tax. My question is, does it matter what state an invoice is generated or sent from? If so, can I simply reassign the job responsibility to an employee in Nevada to be in-line? Must we move our server to Neveda? Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-8nme36c9- replied 5 months ago.
I would recommend moving all of it to Nevada. It could be argued you are conducting business in California.