emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am being audited from the irs 2013 milege business

Customer Question

i am being audited from the irs for my 2013 milege for my business and i did not keep good records what to do
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i have a small business on the side and i went to different places some states but i have no real proof it was in 2013
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. The burden on proving the deduction is on taxpayer. If you didn't keep records or cannot reasonable prove the deduction IRS can disallow it. You can reasonably reconstruct the records based on your other records like appointment book, expenses journal and such. Depending on your profession you can argue that driving to customers/suppliers is part of the job and when you back it up with a reasonable average, IRS will accept it.
For instance RE agents drive a lot and even without adequate records IRS usually allow some mileage. On the other hand a office clerk would need a good records to justify his/her mileage deduction.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.