Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I live in Tennessee and work remotely company based in

Customer Question

I live in Tennessee and work remotely for a company based in New Jersey. I work 0 days a year in New Jersey. The company withholds New Jersey income tax out of my pay and this year New Jersey stated that I wasn't getting my full refund.
How can this be as my employer said they couldn't not take taxes out (since Tennessee doesn't have an income tax) but I receive 0 benefit from NJ as I don't work there.
What do I need to do to get the full refund I should be owed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.
That seems is the issue with your employer...If your employer specifically hired you to work in Tennessee - they MUST register with Tennessee authorities - and pay unemployment taxes here.Also - your employer would be considered as doing business within Tennessee - and might be responsible to file their tax return for this state..
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.
However - if you was hired to work in New Jersey - and your employer JUST allowed you to work from any location which is convenient for you - the situation is different - and you are taxed in New Jersey based on teh location of your workplace..What do you need to do to get the full refund for NJ taxes withheld from your paycheck? - be sure on your W2 form - your wages are reported as from TN sources and not from NJ sources - if not - communicate with your employer and ask to correct W2 form.Questions?