Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Tax attorney and accountant
17793914

My father died in 1991 and was never a US citizen. That same

Customer Question

My father died in 1991 and was never a US citizen. That same year my father loaned my now ex-husband US$35,000, for which there is a signed promissory note. My father intended for me to be repaid the US$35,000 and now, 25 years later, my ex is about to pay me the interest of more than $300,000. Do I have to pay an inheritance tax?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My father was not a resident or citizen of the US. My ex husband recently repaid to me the principal amount of US$35,000 which is why he now has a legal obligation, and is willing to repay the interest totaling more than US$300,000 (9% compound interest p.a. for 25 years).
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 10 months ago.
You will probably need to pay taxes on the interest you received? Was it paid from his estate?
Inheritance tax is based upon the state. NY does not appear to have an inheritance tax:http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Estate-Taxes-Map-2015.png