emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Where would I determine the filing requirements of an individual

Customer Question

Where would I determine the filing requirements of an individual who is 91 years of age. I'm looking for the income limit
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was told that my mother does not have to pay Federal Taxes on her Social Security and pension income because she was 91 years old at the end of 2015. Is this true?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No - I feel that you always have to pay tax regardless of the age. Your pension and ss income was over 85K
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. If he needs to file depends mostly on his income regardless of his age. Single over 65 needs to file a tax return if his income is over $11,850. This is for 2015. The threshold will be little higher for 2016. If you add standard deduction for his filing status and one exemption (two if filing jointly) you will basically get the filing requirement. Here are filing requirements for 2015: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p554/ch01.html
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thank you for the response
You're welcome. And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
You may find this one helpful: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.htmlIf you mother's income is over 85K, 85% of her social security income is included in her taxable income.