Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have 2 rental properties. I will be paying off one shortly.

Customer Question

I have 2 rental properties. I will be paying off one shortly. My question is this: If I take the money from the paid off rental and apply it to the second property, can I use this as a write off since it is still going towards a rental property?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Could I get you to re-state your question Cheri? I'm not sure I'm following.

...

Are you asking about taking the proceeds of sale from one property and using it ton pay down the debt of the other?

...

Or are you asking about the additional revenue from the first property that would now be there because there's no mortgage on the first property after paying it off?

...

Interest, depreciation, and any other ongoing rental costs are always deductible on schedule E ... but the mortgage itself (because you weren't taxed on the income when you received the loan), isn't deductible when you pay it back.

...

Have I understood your question?

...

let me know and we can go from there

...

Lane

..

...

I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks,

Lane