Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I am on ssi disability with my daughter, and turned I 65 this

Customer Question

I am on ssi disability with my daughter, and turned I 65 this year, when it is supposed to change to retirement benefits. I assume my daughters checks keep coming to age 18.
My wife is 66 (her full retirement age) and after being struck by a car, will be applying for retirement disability from the NJ State pension fund for teachers. She is also going to now apply for Soc Sec benefits too. Would it be best for her to apply for SS retirement, and can i get spousal benefits from her, and later, she from me?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...Your SSDI will automatically change to retirement benefits when you turn age 66. And yes, your daughters benefit will continue until ag 18....So sorry to be the messenger, but your wife MAY be subject to something called the WEP (Windfall Elimination provision), a reduction in social security for those covered under a government pension....Here's the information from Social Security on the WEP: for you , a small number of governments Do pay in to Social Security too ... Do you know if you wife has been paying into Social Security (or may have worked under Social Security at another job)?...let me know, and we can go from there...Lane......I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
While I'm waiting, here are a couple of references:...