Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Got a call this morning from the US treasure that I owe taxes

Customer Question

Got a call this morning from the US treasure that I owe taxes from 2010
and that I owe $6930.00. I retired in 2008 file my tax in 2009. I did not receive any letter fro IRS or us treasure regarding this matter and that the money must be paid now or I wiil be arrested. is this a Scam? please in form me . thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.
HelloYes that would be a scam.Thieves call taxpayers claiming to be IRS officials. They demand that the victim pay a bogus tax bill. They con the victim into sending cash, usually through a prepaid debit card or wire transfer. They may also leave “urgent” callback requests through phone “robo-calls”.The IRS will not:Call you to demand immediate payment. The IRS will not call you if you owe taxes without first sending you a bill in the mail. Demand that you pay taxes and not allow you to question or appeal the amount you owe. Require that you pay your taxes a certain way. For instance, require that you pay with a prepaid debit card. Ask for your credit or debit card numbers over the phone. Threaten to bring in police or other agencies to arrest you for not paying.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.
You can report this activity.Contact TIGTA to report the call. Use their “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting” web page. You can also call(###) ###-#### ***** it to the Federal Trade Commission. Use the “FTC Complaint Assistant” on Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" in the notes.Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!