Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Has the irs started enforcing the passport rule for

Customer Question

Has the irs started enforcing the passport rule for travelers that owe 50,000 or more? I know the bill passed . How will you find out about the restriction? Any info on this is greatly appreciated.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.You are correct.The law, passed via approval of transportation legislation known as the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act, will give the Internal Revenue Service and the US Department of the Treasury permission to authorize the US State Department to pursue or deny delinquent taxpayers' passport privileges. Those owing more than $50,000 to the IRS would receive written notice of the revocation, but only after the IRS has filed a lien.Pursuant to the law, the State Department will not issue a passport to anyone who owes more than $50,000, with some exceptions. Those outside of the US when their passport is revoked will, however, be allowed to return home.This law does not apply to those taxpayers who are on a payment plan with the IRS or are negotiating payment.Even though the law has passed, the IRS has not yet implemented any action.https://www.rt.com/usa/326816-passport-revoke-irs-taxes/Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb