Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My 2014 return has not yet been filed. I intend to file

Customer Question

My 2014 return has not yet been filed. I intend to file sometime this month. I am aware of failure to file/failure to pay, and interest penalties. I have not yet been contacted by the IRS.Admittedly the simple reason is procrastination. Given that information, am I in danger of facing civil or even criminal penalties?? I have always been compliant in the past and always file an accurate return.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.
HelloThe civil penalty is the failure to file penalty that will be assessed. Ignoring bills and notices from the IRS can lead to a determination of tax evasion. Tax evasion is an offense that would resort in a court hearing, marks on your credit, and criminal record. If found guilty of tax evasion, you would be fined up to $25,000 dollars and can serve up to 1 year in prison.That is not where you are though. Your compliance in he past and this one neglected year is not considered evasion.