Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am retired & filed a W8Ben before leaving the US %

Customer Question

I am retired & filed a W8Ben before leaving the US for 15% withholding as I was advised. Is this income tax exempt in Canada & where do I document it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

error. Somehow my response posted to your question on accident. I apologize and will opt out.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

...

No, if I understand your question correctly, and you are returning to Canada, what filing the W-8Ben does is prevent the 401(k) administrator from withholding US taxes, (or allow for a lower rate of withholding) because you are a beneficiary of the US/Canada tax treaty

...

A lump sum distribution from an IRA or 401(k) to a non-U.S. citizen, non-U.S. resident is generally subject to a U.S. 30 percent withholding tax.

...

If the payments from the IRA or the 401(k) qualify as periodic pension payments under the Canada-U.S. Income Tax Convention, the withholding tax rate may be reduced to 15 percent.

...

As a general rule, amounts invested in an IRA or a 401(k) while the individual was a non-resident of Canada and received once the individual has resumed his or her Canadian residency are taxable in Canada as pension benefits at the individual’s marginal tax rate.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

The Canadian Income Tax Act allows the transfer of amounts from an IRA or a 401(k) to an RRSP on a tax-deferred basis, provided some conditions are met. Only lump sums can be transferred to an RRSP. Periodic pension payments do not qualify.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Essentially your options are as follows:

...

1. Leave your 401K or IRA in the US and have someone manage the investments for you;
2. Cash out the plan and pay a lot of unnecessary tax;
3. Start to take a retirement distribution (if you are of retirement age);
4. Transfer the plan to an RRSP in Canada.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Option 4 provides the most deferral ... You must first roll the dollars into an IRA

...

Once you have rolled your 401(k) into an IRA, Canadian citizens can roll over their U.S. IRA plans to a Canadian RRSP However, as a Canadian resident, this will result in a 15% withholding tax (because you signed the W-8Ben rather than a flat 30%

...

(in addition to the 10% early withdrawal penalty if you have not yet reached the age 59½ threshold).

...

But then the dollars can be held tax free in the RRSP.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

here are some good articles on the issue
...

https://www.worldatwork.org/waw/canadanews/html/canv11n2-3.html

...

http://www.canadianexpatnetwork.com/public/1237.cfm

...

http://www.tewealth.com/blog/what-can-i-do-with-my-u-s-retirement-plan-401k-or-ira/

...

And here's the CRA guidance:

...

subparagraph 60(j)(i) or 60(j)(ii) of the Canadian Income Tax Act (ITA)

...

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know what questions you have

...

Lane

..

I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.