Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I recieved a letter in the mil today from the Ga Dept of Revenue

Customer Question

I recieved a letter in the mil today from the Ga Dept of Revenue "Notice of State Tax Execution" . They are stating I owed $1135 tax from 2008 which after they have now assessed penalties - they say it's $5334.64. I have filed and paid my taxes every year. This is the very first time I have ever been notified of any apparent unpaid tax. They process my return every year since and have never sent a notice saying anything was missing, or I had any balance owed. What do I do?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can the Ga Dept of Revenue just randomly go back that far and reassess tax liability. Never any issue with Federal. I have since been through a divorce and do not even have tax records back that far anymore.
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.Your first step would be to contact the number on the letter you received from GA and request information regarding why they sent the Notice of State Tax Execution for an unpaid tax liability. It could simply be a mistake. You would have received other notices regarding an outstanding tax liability before the notice you just received.The statute of limitations are as follows:The Department of Revenue normally has three years in which to assess additional tax. However, if a claim for refund is filed within the six-month period, before the close of the statute of limitations period, the period of assessment is extended for six months beginning on the day the claim for refund is filed.If the taxpayer has omitted more than 25% of the gross income from the return, the limitation is six years.In the case of fraud or if the taxpayer fails to file a return, there is no time limit.Were you married and filing jointly with your ex-spouse in 2008? Perhaps your ex-spouse has been receiving the notices?Please provide as much information as you can so I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you further.Best regards,Barb