emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I hired an tax attorney a year ago and he is dragging my case

Customer Question

I hired an tax attorney a year ago and he is dragging my case along until today he told m I owe 58,000 dollars and that I need to give his firm 10,000 to get it under 50,000 and then my payments would be 680.00 a month which I cannot pay at all. I have a security clearance at my job and my job would be in jeopardy right? I am blind right now
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Unless you are under criminal investigation or committed a tax fraud, engaging a tax lawyer or attorney is often unnecessary and often costly. What the attorney wants to do is a simple installment agreement that his part time aid or intern will fill out and file.I would suggest to find a CPA specialized in taxes or IRS licensed enrolled agent (EA) who can review your taxes and most likely do the same for few hundred dollars.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you.
You're welcome. I do not know what type of attorney you are using but 10K for a simple installment agreement sounds too much. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Here's the installment agreement.https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Payment-Plans-Installment-AgreementsI would also order a transcripts of your IRS account and your returns to make sure you really owe 58K. You can order your transcript here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-TranscriptYou want your return transcript and also your account transcript (billing).