Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am USA citizen, working in USA, but retired in Czech Rep

Customer Question

I am USA citizen, working in USA, but retired in Czech Rep after I worked here 30 years. Is my retirement from Czech republic taxable in USA?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.
HelloAs a US citizen, your requirement to report all income does not change if you are living abroad.There is a tax treaty between the US and Czech Repub.ARTICLE 19 Pensions, Annuities, Alimony, and Child Support1. Subject to the provisions of Article 20 (Government Service):a) pensions and other similar remuneration derived and beneficially owned by a resident of a Contracting State in consideration of past employment by that individual or another individual resident of the same Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State;and b) social security benefits and other public pensions paid by a Contracting State to a resident of the other Contracting State or a citizen of the United States shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State.2. Annuities derived and beneficially owned by a resident of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State. The term "annuities" as used in this paragraph means a stated sum paid periodically at stated times during a specified number of years, under an obligation to make the payments in return for adequate and full consideration (other than services rendered).Your pension is taxable in the US.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not living abroad, but in USA .Just for clarity.Thank you Nicolle
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.
The treaty covers where you are taxed. As a US citizen you are taxed in the US on the pension.