Angie
Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
69500136

Sure; My question arises because I am a retired accountant

Customer Question

Sure; My question arises because I am a retired accountant doing support work for one company's controller. I do not intend to have a business, I do not seek additional customers. I work only 20 hours week. Do I need to register as a business in NC; get a sales tax registration, etc.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: The company I work with is privately held and my husband is the president, a W2 employee and not a shareholder.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 7 months ago.
You do not need a sales tax registration as you are not selling any goods. You are simply providing a service. Assuming they will provide you with a 1099-Misc at the end of the year, you are simply doing "contract" work for them. You do not have to register with the state as you will be considered a sole prop. Depending on your city, there may be a business license requirement, however it is doubtful based on what you told me. If you can provide the city I will research requirements for your city.