Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am exploring donating my 2012 Palomino Maverick model 8801

Customer Question

I am exploring donating my 2012 Palomino Maverick model 8801 truck camper to a charity that accepts cars, trucks, boats, and wheeled campers. My camper is a slide-in; it is an independent unit that I transport on a 3/4 ton pickup. I have received conflicting advice from two charities. One says I do not qualify for a 1098 C because it is not a wheeled vehicle and does not have a VIN. The other charity says they will send me a donation receipt that will serve as a substitute for a 1098 C.
Can I donate a slide in truck camper to a charity for a charitable donation?
Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.While your camper is not a "qualified vehicle" for 1098-C purposes, you most certainly can donate the camper to a charitable organization and use the receipt as proof of your charitable donation.The following links contain excellent information you will find helpful:http://www.efile.com/irs-publication/vehicle-donations-pub-4303.pdfhttp://www.goodwillsc.org/donate/carsPlease let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Thank you and best regards,Barb