emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I was a Firefighter Hired October 1984 in the State of Florida,

Customer Question

I was a Firefighter Hired October 1984 in the State of Florida, On October of 1997 I was on a Motor vehicle accident while on duty was injured to the point of permanent total disability and retired State of Florida Disability Pension. I received a letter from the Irs. stating I owe back taxes for not paying on my disability state retirement. Years ago I was told I qualify for the 575 Service-connected disability and disregard the 1099 R what is the law regarding this? Thanks John
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi, John. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.When you received 1099R, do you know what code was in box 7?The service connected disability doesn't apply to your disability income for the rest of your life.Income paid to disabled member prior to the time of conversion from duty disability retirement to regular service retirement is not taxable. However, once you reach your retirement age those payments are automticaly converted into regular retirement payments and the service connected disability does't apply any more.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.