Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.

I actually have a few questions... I have a Passive

Customer Question

Hello! I actually have a few questions...
I have a Passive Loss I want to take on my taxes. I incurred the Passive Loss after my rental property was damaged in Hurricane Ivan. I was told my husband and I made too much money to take the loss. I was advised to carry the Passive Loss forward each tax year until we sold the property. In 2015 we did sell the property. I now want to take the loss. However, it is a bit more complicated...I only rented my house the first year that the loss was incurred. After that I held it as a 2nd home. So...I am not sure how to categorize the sale of the home. Do I say it was a business asset or do I say I sold a second home?
Second question...I know I can only take an interest deduction on two of my properties. However, can I take an interest deduction on two properties AND a line of credit?
Thanks for your professional insight.
Ally Tirado
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
You won't be able to deduct the passive loss if you treat the home has a second home for the sale.You can only deduct suspended passive-activity losses in 2 situations: Against passive-activity income When you dispose of the passive activity in a fully taxable transaction to an unrelated partyWhen you converted rental property into a personal home. The rental home had suspended passive-activity losses. So, you can continue to deduct the suspended passive-activity losses from other passive income. If you have no other passive income, the suspended losses remain suspended. Carry them forward until you sell the home in a fully taxable transaction. You cannot take the interest deduction on the line of credit. The only interest deduction you can take is that which is considered mortgage interest. A line of credit generally doesn't fall into this category ...unless it is a home equity line of credit. In which case, it would be a mortgage interest expense.
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
Just checking back to make sure you got your issue handled. If you are satisfied with my service, I ask that you take a moment to rate me using the stars or smiley faces, this is how I receive compensation from Just Answer and ensures experts like me are available to answer your questions in the future. if you would like to work with me again, simply type "ForCustomeramp;quot; in your question title and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.