Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Is my social security number being used on someone's income

Customer Question

Is my social security number being used on someone's income tax return other than me? How can I put an alert on my number or stop it from being used and who is using it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Someone illegally using your Social Security number and assuming your identity can cause a lot of problems.Sometimes more than one person uses the same Social Security number, either on purpose or by accident. If you suspect someone is using your number for work purposes, you should contact the SSA to report the problem. They’ll review your earnings with you to ensure our records are correctYou also may review earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement. The Statement is available online to workers age 18 and older. To get your Statement, go create an account.If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, Social Security can’t resolve these problems. But there are several things you should do.Visit toreport identity theft and get a recovery plan.www.identitytheft.govguides you through each step of the recovery process. It’s a one-stop resource managed by the Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency. You can also call 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-***-***-****); TTY 1-***-***-****.Questions?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
The IRS IP PIN is a 6-digit number assigned to eligible taxpayers to help prevent the misuse of their Social Security number on fraudulent federal income tax returns. The IP PIN helps us verify a taxpayer’s identity and accept their electronic or paper tax return.An IP PIN helps the IRS verify a taxpayer’s identity and accept their electronic or paper tax return. When you have an IP PIN, it prevents someone else from filing a tax return with your SSN.If a return is e-filed with your SSN and an incorrect or missing IP PIN, our system will reject it until you submit it with the correct IP PIN or you file on paper. If the same conditions occur on a paper filed return, we will delay its processing and any refund you may be due for your protection while we determine if it’s yours.Here is the site to get your PIN part of its ongoing security review, the Internal Revenue Service temporarily suspended the site - but it is expected back after some time.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago. can get a transcript by mail to view your tax account transactions or line-by-line tax return information for a specific tax year.You can order transcript online and it will be mailed to you .
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
To request an individual tax return transcript by mail or fax, complete Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses and individuals who need a tax account transcript should use Form Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.