Tax-Scholar
Tax-Scholar, CPA
Experience:  Helping customers comply with and plan for income taxes
62862763

While filling of W4 form I chose my self as a Head oh House

Customer Question

while filling of W4 form I chose my self as a Head oh House hold but I'm married. I got to know that when I compared my salary with my friend. So, When do I need to return extra tax money to Federal? Also I'm not sure whether I need to claim section 'F' of W4 form or not Since I have 2 kids (5 and 3 years) and I'm not sure enough.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax-Scholar replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answers. The IRS Form W-4 is used to determine your tax withholding. If you claim extra exemptions and your employer does not withhold enough taxes you'll have to pay the IRS when you file your personal tax return. The return is due April 15. So the deadline just passed for the 2015 tax filing. If you do not pay in enough tax during the year through estimated payments or withholding then you could use an underpayment of estimated tax penalty. Based on your information you provided I would claim 3 exemptions. One for yourself and two for your kids.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I heard from others that I don't need to file Income tax return this year. Since I came in USA this year only ( Jan 1st 2016).
Yes that could be correct. For 2015 did you work in the United States? You say you came in the USA on 1.1.2016 and so I assume you are a citizen of a different country?