PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.

What happens if a partnership dissovles and a partner has negative

Customer Question

What happens if a partnership dissovles and a partner has negative GAAP basis captial account. How is that reported on the K-1
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: An LLP was dissloved in 2015. One partner has a positive GAAP basis capital account of $50k and another a negative capital account of $50k. How is this handled on the final tax return?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: that's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 6 months ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist. The tax return does not need to report the capital gain or loss on dissolution. The partners do. Just report the GAAP basis as positive or negative on the final 1065 and K-1. The partners have to convert that to tax basis, and will. No gain or loss is partnership reportable. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer