How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3187
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently retired. This is the first year that I have had

Customer Question

I recently retired. This is the first year that I have had to pay the Federal income tax instead of receiving a refund. I have used H&R Block for years. My local office filed my tax forms but I have got to pay 1974 dollars. I just got my Social Security check and now I have enough to pay the taxes I owe in full. My question is: since my payment needed to be post marked by midnight on Monday, April 17 and today is Thursday, April 20; Hw much do I write the check for. Will it be 1974 dollars plus a late fee or penalty? If so how much penalty do I owe? And how much do I make my check for? I would like to clear this up today. Do I pay until the post mark on my letter or until the IRS receives my payment. Any help you may be able to give me will be very appreciated. Thank you very much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.Mail a check to the IRS for the amount you owe--$1974. The IRS will send you a letter with the amount of any interest/penalty you owe, which will be minimal. My advice is to mail your check by certified mail, return receipt requested. The main goal is to get your payment in as soon as possible.Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb