Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.

Need verification of bot***** *****ne 2015- 1040 Single 03/02/96

Customer Question

Need verification of bot***** *****ne 2015- 1040 Single 03/02/96 claiming himself, supported himself, Wages $8273 W/H 675 Div $223 Qual Div $ 202, at least half time Form 1098-T # ***** Spring Term Box 1 $ 1353 Box 5 $3865 Books $ 681....Fall Term Form 1098-T # ***** Box 2 $6141, Box 5 $5554 Books $ tax $ 11 Line 50 $ 11 my Line 64 $ 675 My line 68 $ refund $ 1182.....Can you concur? (software is adding $ 2109 to Line 7 (excess grants over funds paid) never had that happen before.....

Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
That is correct...when they receive more scholarships or grants than they are billed for tuition this is what occurs. However, if box 7 is checked, there should be a place on your worksheet where you can enter the actual amounts paid for the tax year.
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
clarification... box 7 on the 1098-T
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

So you do agree with the exact refund... I have to be correct in this since it is for a coworker and it would be embarrassing to get a notice later

Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
actually no... the refund should only be the amount of withholding they had. Are their parents claiming them? And if you entered the amount for the books correctly the amount it should be adding to the box 7 is 649.00. I am attaching a "fake return" using your numbers
Expert:  Angie replied 5 months ago.
Just checking back to make sure you got your issue handled. If you are satisfied with my service, I ask that you take a moment to rate me using the stars or smiley faces, this is how I receive compensation from Just Answer and ensures experts like me are available to answer your questions in the future. if you would like to work with me again, simply type "For Angie2613" in your question title and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Taxpayer was entitled to refund of more than withholding due to education credit.