Tyrone J. Taylor
Tyrone J. Taylor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Owner at Taylor Tax and Financial Consulting

We bought a new car in September of 2015. I don't plan to

Customer Question

We bought a new car in September of 2015. I don't plan to include it on Form 2106, but are any expenses (sales tax, registration, excise tax) allowable on deductions (Schedule A)?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 6 months ago.
Hello Jim,I am an Enrolled Agent with 9 years of professional tax experience. The sales tax and the vehicle license registration (if the vehicle registration fee is based on the value of the vehicle) are both deductible. Fees and licenses are not deductible.Here is a section from the Schedule A Instructions that may assist you further: Please refer to page A-6 about deducting sales tax from the purchase of a vehicle, and page A-7 regarding personal property tax deductions.I hope this answers your question. If you need further clarification, please let me know. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a good day.