Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

In August 2015 I provided my boyfriend a cash gift of $7000

Customer Question

In August 2015 I provided my boyfriend a cash gift of $7000 for a down payment on a house that was only in his name. I withdrew the money from my 401K. The mortgage company provided me proof of my gift. In December 2015 we got do I claim my cash gift on my taxes? we are filing married but seperate.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.A cash gift is not a deduction on your taxes for the giver (you) and is not taxable to the recipient.As to your filing status, if your are not married (you mentioned boyfriend), you would use the single filing status--not married filing separate.Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb