Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.

California tax filing help. Does my elderly mother have

Customer Question

California tax filing help.
Does my elderly mother have to file taxes? her SSI =$19,163.00 her 1099-R = $5,000.
her 1099 INT = $850.00.
Also father passed in Feb 2015. Revd a SSA-1099 = $3,472. and a 1099-R = 1,657.
Also- do I have to file I have no income. just what I have in bank from last year. I am my moms fulltime caregiver.
I need to send in forms tonight.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
Yes, you do need to file a tax return. You will file Married filing jointly and enter the date of your fathers passing. She will sign the return as "surviving spouse"
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
As far as you are concerned...if you had no income, then you do not have to file at all
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i was told last year she may not have to file. why do you say she does?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you familiar with California tax? your from tenn.
Expert:  Angie replied 6 months ago.
I am familiar with taxes from every state. I work near an army base and do taxes for every state in the US. Because your father passed in 2015 , it is advisable to file the state return to show his passing. While her income is less than the standard deduction for Ca, a return isn't required.....but I always advise my clients to file a final return showing date of death. She will have no tax liability, so there is no filing requirement, however the state may send a letter in a few months stating they never received the return. To avoid hassle later, I recommend that she file a return (and if anything was withheld from the 1099-R's from the state, she will get that back with the return.
Expert:  Angie replied 5 months ago.
Just checking back to make sure you got your issue handled. If you are satisfied with my service, I ask that you take a moment to rate me using the stars or smiley faces, this is how I receive compensation from Just Answer and ensures experts like me are available to answer your questions in the future. if you would like to work with me again, simply type "ForCustomeramp;quot; in your question title and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.