emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I took several large IRA disbursements throughout 2015 to

Customer Question

I took several large IRA disbursements throughout 2015 to pay my mothers nursing home costs (dementia). I transferred the money from my accounts to hers and paid the bills from her account as her POA. Can I deduct those payments as medical expenses and how do go about it? Should I list my mother as a dependant even though she did not technically live with me?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Your doesn't need to live with you to be your dependent. As long as your mother's income was less than $4000 and you paid more than 50% of her support, you can claim her as your dependent. You can only deduct medical expenses your your self and dependents listed on your tax return. So it all comes down to determine if you can claim your mother as your dependent. Here are the rules: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Return/INF12139.htmlScroll down to qualifying relative. Parents are on the list of relatives who do not live with you.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?Joseph, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.