Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I filed electronically yesterday but caught an error this morning

Customer Question

I filed electronically yesterday but caught an error this morning (Apr 18) that reduced the tax I owed. Can I mail in the amended (reduced) amount or do I have to pay the original amount and wait for a refund?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 6 months ago.
You would want to paper file the amended return at once. You can always pay less than the amount due. However, the IRS will start to send you notices because they won't have processed the amended return which can take 4-6 months. Once the amended return is "logged in" the notices should cease while they process the amended return. If you get a scary notice, you can always call them up and tell them just what's happening. That you in fact owe less money and would prefer to only pay that. They will then put a 2-3 month "collection hold" on the account while the amended return is being processed. So, in summary, the answer is: "yes, you can do this "unofficially" but the IRS will still list it as a balance due until the amended return is processed.