Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I live in Virginia since 2014, but

Customer Question

Hello. My name is Matt. I live in Virginia since 2014, but sold a condo in 2015 that I own that is located in Maryland. I do know that Maryland collects taxes on sales of properties by non-residents. Do you know if that means I do not have to also pay taxes on the sale of this property to Virginia as well?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave you the details above.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 6 months ago.
If you pay taxes to another state (such as Maryland) you will report the same transaction in Virginia and then VA will give you a credit against VA taxes (to a point) for the taxes paid the other state.