Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

We have legal guardianship of a 3 year old since 5/5/15 and

Customer Question

We have legal guardianship of a 3 year old since 5/5/15 and before guardianship have had her for 9 months living with us. She use to be our foster daughter, once she was out of the system her mom contacted us asking us to adopt her. We are still in the process (towards the end) of adopting her. Since we have legal guardianship and provide for her 100%, are we able to use the child tax credit?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.
HiI'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you. Yes, you may claim her on your taxes as a dependent. That means that you will also be eligible for the Child Tax Credit, and depending on your income, you may also be able to claim the Earned Income Credit. If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge. Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.
HI I wanted to check back with you to see if you had any additional questions or if there was anything else I can help you with. If there is, please post your question here & I'll be notified. If you found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive so that I may receive credit for working with you. Thank you for choosing justanswer.