Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

On line 31 of form 8863, what are the qualified education expenses?

Customer Question

On line 31 of form 8863, what are the qualified education expenses? is it the amount on the 1098?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm trying to figure out what amount my son can deduct from his education expenses
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloQualified expenses are amounts paid for tuition, fees and other related expense for an eligible student that are required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. There is a worksheet in the instructions for form 8863 but the amount is going to be the box 1 less any amount he received or used to pay that was tax free (scholarship would be an example.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded