Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

How can my daughter establish residency in the state of

Customer Question

How can my daughter establish residency in the state of kentucky, for state university tuition purposes? We currently claim her on our taxes and are residents of Texas. She is a full time student at University of Kentucky.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
Yes - that is possible - but you have to consider following ruleshttp://www.uky.edu/GradSchool/bulletinarchive/bull9698/respol.html(2) (a) A determination shall first be made of whether a student is dependent or independent. In determining the dependent or independent status of a person, the following information shall be considered as well as any other relevant information available at the time the determination is made.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
(b) A person claiming independent status shall document that status and demonstrate that the person:1. Has not been claimed as a dependent on the federal or state tax returns for the year preceding the date of application for a determination of residency status; or2. Is no longer claimed by a parent or other person as a dependent or an exemption for federal and state tax purposes; and,3. Has financial earnings and resources independent of parents and persons other than a spouse necessary to provide for the person's own sustenance..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.