Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Im planning to file some back tax returns and i m

Customer Question

Hi, im planning to file some back tax returns and i m wondering if doing a extension will trigger any
kind of activity before im ready to submit my returns?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
If you file for the extension - you will be granted additional 6 months to do your paperwork.Please be aware that is an extension to FILE - and not an extension to pay.So the payment deadline is still Apr 18 for individual 2015 tax return.For prior tax returns - there is NO extensions - these are already late.,To file for extension - use Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return form may be e-filed.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.So you may pay at least $1 via Direct Pay - and get an extension..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.