Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I make a low income of about 12k a year.....ive had

Customer Question

Hi ,I make a low income of about 12k a year.....ive had so many expenses.....but i want to file past returns for the last 6 yrs do i do this .....Ive no understanding of how to go about correcting this and an afraid high cost or the penalities....a lot of anxiety on this...pleasehelpThank You
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Louis. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Even if you file and are due a refund you will not get it until you file all your missing returns for at least last 6 years. You will not know how much you owe or if you even owe anything unless you sit down with a tax professional and complete your tax returns.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Eva,Can i work with you on this...i can secure any docs you need
Well, I do not have a current tax software at home and if I do it at work, it will cost you about $150 per return.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HI Eva,That sounds good...........i do have a quick follow up question, because the deadline is tomorrow would it be prudent
to file that extension while we prep the returns ...... im concerned that doing the extension might trigger some activity
before they are ready......what do you think there....based on your experience.
If you owe and you do not file extension you will just add to your penalties. Every tax form you received was automatically sent to IRS and so they have records about you receiving income and not filing tax return. There's no reason not to file the extension if you have to.