Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

My ex-daughter-in-law was divorced from my son in October 2015.

Customer Question

My ex-daughter-in-law was divorced from my son in October 2015. He works at a refinery and makes a very good salary. Her divorce settlement stated that she would receive one half of his 401K plus one half of his retirement when he does so plus his bonus which he received in 2016. Nothing was included about allocating his salary and IRS withholding taxes for 2015. My question is:
Is she responsible for reporting one half of the salary and withholding taxes on her 2015 Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040) up until the date of the divorce? She lives in Texas which is a community property state. I am a retired CPA who has only worked in the oil and gas industry. If you point me in the right direction in the tax code, it would be very much appreciated.
Yours truly,
Charles H. Fisher, CPA
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Charles............as you probably know, Texas is one of the most difficult when it comes to Community property when it comes to divorce. You may have already found this link, but I thought I'd pass it along in case you haven't.Steve G. (retired CPA in MA)https://www.irs.gov/irm/part25/irm_25-018-002.html
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 8 months ago.
Charles..............Just checking in.............Did you find what you needed?