emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My income is solely 3rd party disability income .....can

Customer Question

my income is solely 3rd party disability income for 2015.....can I still claim my dependent child, home mortgage and medical expenses as deductions?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. How is the income reported to you? Did you received any tax forms?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes..i have a w2
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
p.s. Hi Eva
In that case, yes you will report it income as wages and you can claim your dependents and deductions as you did before.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am using turbotax and it does not change the amount owed when I enter my deductions
It is most likely because you do not have enough deductions to itemize and Turbo tax is choosing standard deduction.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
wow...I have a dependent child, 5000 dollars in medic xpenses and 1000 dollars of mortgage interest on a 35000 dollars of income
Ok. Medical expenses are subject to 10% of AGI limit, which means you can only deduct 1500 of medical expenses. Assuming you have about 2500 in state and local taxes, with mortgage interest of 1000, you are still bellow the standard deduction for single, which is 6,300. Standard deduction for Head of household is even higher. What about your property taxes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should I file married filing seperatley?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was still married until april of 2015
All your deductions must be more that standard deduction (single - 6,300, - 9,250) to make any difference. Otherwise Turbo tax will always choose the higher standard deduction. You cannot file married jointly or separately if you were not married or you were not married on December 31, 215. Your options are single or Head of household.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you!
You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.