ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

Over the past ten years, I have had difficulty ensuring my

Customer Question

Over the past ten years, I have had difficulty ensuring my stock sales have been a little unorganized. I've had difficulty getting records from Merrill Lynch and therefore had difficulty completing my taxes.
So, my issues:
1) If I can't seem to get Merrill Lynch to provide records for my account that I can use to file my taxes, where else can I get that information? Would the IRS actually provide to me what Merrill and/ other brokerages are saying I made from sales proceeds?
2) Is there a program you know of that I can use to manage transactions or the form for the IRS? In 2013, I made A LOT of very short transactions and lost a good bit of money that I now need to account for. I attempted active trading sometimes (possibly considered day trading) going in and out of stocks regularly throughout the days. This resulted in some fairly complex and deep records that I do not think I can record on a couple of sheets of paper and submit to the IRS. So, how to get all of that data and file it appropriately?
3) If I did "day trade" can I deduct the stock losses against other business revenue or is the loss still limited to the 3K per year as in general stock losses?
Thank you in advance for your time and attention to this message.
Category: Tax
Expert:  ShawnA replied 7 months ago.
. There is an easy solution to question 1. Contact their complaince dept (there is someone special you should contact not just that 2. Excel. 3. against other revenue.