Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I have the 1040X to file and amended return

Customer Question

I have the 1040X to file and amended return, but I need to find the form to fill out for the rebate. I have spent hours searching for it. It tells you how much your rebate check will be. Please help, I only have until tomorrow.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 months ago.
Ellen, what rebate are you talking about. I found two plausible Louisiana tax rebates.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is a Stimulus Payment that Obama signed to make the previous one permanent. All I know is that it is a Congressional Act Section 106 and I guess it was buried because no one seems to know. I heard about it online. If you have already filed your taxes you must file an amended return and this form along with it. (by the 18th) It basically is you put in the amount from your return and and figures out how much you get in the rebate check. It is a percentage of State and Local sales tax and any big ticket items you would have receipts for. I hope you understand my rambling but I am about fed up with the IRS. They said that most people would receive about $1200.00. I really need the money or I would say the heck with it. Can you help me please?
I'm sorry; I don't know of any such rebate. David Brin once called the Internet "the net of a billion lies". With some rare exceptions, any election you can make on your timely filed tax return can also be taken on a return timely filed under extension, or even an amended return within 6 months of the regular due date. But I cannot be sure that Congress didn't pass something. Congress did make the election to take state sales tax rather than state income tax as an itemized deduction permanent, but there's no specific form to be used. See the instructions for 1040 Schedule A line 5 checkbox b. In case I'm wrong, and there is such a rebate, I'm going to opt-out and leave the question open. If you reply, the site will still lock the question for me, but probably not tell me about out. If you want me to opt-out, say so, once, and I'll do so.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for trying. Do I still have to pay the $50 some dollars?
If you request a refund of the deposit, it will be issued. Do you want me to note the request?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I really would appreciate the refund. Thank you.