emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I have a tax preparer that has had all of my tax info since

Customer Question

I have a tax preparer that has had all of my tax info since FEB.... My taxes still are not done. We were just at the office on a Saturday morning and the doors are locked. The message on phone says that they will be open tomorrow--- Sunday. I at this point don't know what to do because I do not believe him, since this has been going on for several weeks. Suggestions? I can't go to someone else to do the taxes because they have my paperwork.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You obviously need to look for a new preparer. You can walk in any tax office right now and file an extension. All they need is your social security numbers. Than you can pick up your paper work from your current preparer, who has no legal rights to keep your documents and take it to another preparer to have it done.
Once you file an extension, you have until October 15 to file your tax return without having to worry about non-filign penalty. If you owe and you don't pay by April 18, there's a .5% penalty and little interest, about 70c for every $100 you owe each month. There's really no reason to panic. I already filed couple doz ends of extension myself, including my own.
any questions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What if we file an extension today and he has our taxes done tomorrow or Monday?
That's not a problem. Once you file an extension your deadline is automatically extended to October 15. You can file your return any time between now and October 15.
An extension will only give you peace of mind in case it will not be done by the 18 you will not have to pay penalty for not filing on time.
It is quite standard procedures. Some preparers file extension for all returns that are on hold by the 12th or 13th, for that reason. To avoid a penalty in case they cannot finalize it on time. In my case I am too busy to finish my taxes and I am still waiting for some late tax documents.
Is there anything else I can help you with today?
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.