Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Background:At the start of 2015, I and my wife were living

Customer Question

Background:At the start of 2015, I and my wife were living in Chicago, where we still have a home. In June 2015, my wife moved to New York for a job.I work from home. Since Aug 2015, I too moved most of my stuff and have generally lived in New York with my wife. I visit Chicago as needed. I work for two employers. My primary employer (source of my full-time job) is based in Georgia. I have other part-time position with a Chicago based employer. (For both of these jobs, I work from home)I still have a Illinois driver's license while my wife has got a NY driver's license after she moved. We still own our home in Chicago and make mortgage payments on it. We rent a condo in New York.Question/s:
1.What is the most appropriate federal tax filing status for us -- Married Jointly or Married Separately?
2. What address should we list as our Primary Address for tax filing and for residency determination -- New York or Illinois?
3. Am I allowed to claim moving expenses?
4. My wife's employer gave her a lumpsum amount for relocation. This amount is included in her W2 wages (also this relocation payment is tax-assisted). In this case, can my wife claim separate moving expenses?Thanks.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 7 months ago.
HiI'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you.Let's take your questions in order:1-It is almost always better to file jointly. If you file separately, you not only might lose some tax credits, but your tax could be much higher.2-As for your address.......you need to determine what your "tax home" is. Your tax home is not always the place where your home is. It's the place where you earn your money. Please see page 3 from Pub 463 below:https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf 3- One of the criteria in order to pay moving expenses is that it must be related to the start of work. Since you work out of your home, it may be difficult to prove that you moved because of work.4-Your wife, however, is absolutely allowed to take her moving expenses. If your have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge. Thank you for choosing justanswer.