Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

Tax on company restricted stock unit (RSU). My RSU was

Customer Question

tax on company restricted stock unit (RSU). My RSU was vested last year Feb 2015 with value of $50k as shown in my tax summary & W2 for 2016 year. However, my company have withold about $10k for this RSU, and I did not sell any. Do I put this value of $50k in my 2016 year tax even though I did not sell any ? If I have to include the $50k in my 2016 year, what about the withold sum of $10k ? How should I deduct or report on my TurboTax software that I've withhold $10k ? Thanks.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 6 months ago.
The $50K vested stock units is already included in yourW2 (and that's where the withholding is) So no you do not report anything with the restricted stock until you sell it. You MAY have a 1099-B reporting the sale of the $10K to pay for taxes. Some companies sell the stock on the market while others simply withhold them and don't sell them. So the question is: "Do you have a 1099-B from the place that holds the employer stock (Etrade, Schwab, etc.) or do you not?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes,I have the 1099 form (but not sure about 1099-B) from UBS. The form shows the withholding amount.
But my company tax 2016 summary form includes the $50k, it complicates how I enter into the TurboTax. Thanks.
I don't think you need to do anything. Perhaps you can scan the UBS form and upload it, so I can see what you are looking at. (You should redact anything that shows your Name, Address or SSN)