Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My son has a w2 from job corps. Does he have to pay state tax

Customer Question

My son has a w2 from job corps. Does he have to pay state tax on the wages if non were taken out?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more do you need
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: just wondering if he needs to file in the state where the wages were earned and the state he was a residence of on 12/21
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
If both states have income taxes - and if his total income is above filing requirements - then - yes - filing is required for both states.State income tax liability is based on both - the source of income (where work physically was done) and residency.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
First file the tax return for the nonresident state - only income from sources within that state will be taxable for nonresidents.Then - file income for resident state - and all worldwide income is taxed for the state where you are a resident.Thus it is possible that the same income is taxed for both states.In this case - you would be able to claim a credit for taxes paid to other states with your resident tax return - thus effectively will avoid double taxation of the same income.Questions?