Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My employer did not withhold Medicare or SSX tax ..

Customer Question

my employer did not withhold Medicare or SSX tax for 2015.. Who owes it now? My employer or me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Medicare and SS# ***** was not with held on my 2015 taxes who has to pay the IRS back. my employer or the employee for the error? they do not know what happen. I am a US citizen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Both - your owe your part and your employer owes his part.On your gross wages - each should pay 7.65% in social security and Medicare taxes.Please let me know how your employer reports your wages?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I receive my pay statements Payless through email. My 2015 W2 form didn't include Medicare or SS.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Can you verify all boxes and amounts on that W2Please post here. Any boxes that checked?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you still need any help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On my W2 boxes 3-6 were blank and or not populated. Based on this conversation I am under the impression these back taxes for Medicare and SS# ***** be my responsibility to reimburse.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
The issue is that boxes 3 and 5 report wages that are subject to social security and Medicare taxes.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
So - if there is NO amounts - that generally means - your wages are NOT subject to social security and Medicare taxes.So there is NO your responsibility.Still we need to determine whether your employer reported that correctly or not...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.