Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Quick question if I live in NJ and work in NYC when I file

Customer Question

Hi, Quick question if I live in NJ and work in NYC when I file my tax form NJ 1040 and they ask for 'total NJ income tax withheld' does that include what was withheld by NY or just NJ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Was trying to file using TurboTax but wanted to double check what the program is producing. My W2 says 'Total State' in box 15 and lists the total tax withheld by NJ and Ny instead of the specific different amounts.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
HelloYou only list the actual NJ withholding. They will not refund for NY taxes withheld. You can claim a credit for those but you do not list the NY state withholding on the NJ as withholding. You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.