Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

My son is trying to file by e-file. We did not see the 1098-T

Customer Question

My son is trying to file by e-file. We did not see the 1098-T form on the list of forms...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a full time student. On HR Block online e-file system he submitted a W-2 form and a 1099 from a cafe job and a parking car (contractor) job, submitted the form about 529 money which he used for partial tuition payment, and submitted a couple of forms from cashing government bonds for personal expenses. The only thing missing is 1098-T which we got from the school. We paid a few thousand for his school; he paid around $ 10K from his 529, the bulk of tuition was paid by grandparents from their personal account. I just did not see the form 1098 on the list of forms...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

So sorry for the delay. I could not lock on your question for some unknown computer glitch reason.

The form you are looking for is form 8863 Education Credits.

He can claim the tuition as long as he is not claimed as a dependent.

The 1098T is not a form listed but the information on the 1098T will be used on the 8863.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!