Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Why thank you ! My name is ***** ***** JA:

Customer Question

Hello - why thank you for asking! My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. I am the executor of an estate, whom the decedant passed away on 04-24-15. I did not receive my appointment until earlier this year, and am trying to play catchup with the related taxes. I've completed the decedant's final tax return - accounting for income and payments made up until her death. Now, I am looking at the estate tax return - which I think is form 1041
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
Everything you said is correct and you do need to file form 1041 - estate income tax return for the estate.Please be aware that you may choose different calendar year for the estate.For instance - you may choose the tax year started on 04-24-15 (day of death) and ended on 03-31-16.That is an option - not requirement.Please post your actual questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Lev - sorry for the delayed response. I am at work today, and don't have much spare time. I've started down the path already that you mentioned - where the decedant's tax return was up until 4/24/2015, and the estate started the same day.
In going through the form 1041, one of the questions is about gathering income and deductions for the estate. The estate has no income for last year, but did pay real estate property taxes. Does the form still need to be filed?
I have additional questions - but I think those are charged per question. Can you confirm?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
I will do the best to address all your tax related issues.Please be aware that experts do not have access to your account and your payment issues must be directly addressed to the customer service.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
If the estate had NO income - filing is not required.Property taxes are deductible.However unused deductions might be helpful in future years - so if you think they might be used - you may file.Be sure to come back later - I will be with you..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.