emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Every time I try to enter some simple income my wife was paid

Customer Question

every time I try to enter some simple income my wife was paid on a 1099-MISC, it moves it to being under business expense, and then I have errors on my return because it is recognizing her as the owner of the business - which she is not. How do I enter it as some simple income?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.If you wife received 1099Mics with income reported in box 7 - nonemployee compensation, for tax purposes she is independent contractor, a self-employed individual. Yes, the program will recognize her as owner of the business, that's OK. It doesn't mean she owns the business she is subcontracted by, it only means that she is working for herself and not as employee for somebody else.
Think about it as freelancer. She doesn't need to own a company, a business or even a little shop. She offer her services to other companies or individuals and get paid for it. It is actually quiet common in certain professions. An individual can be an employee during a day and earn extra income as contractor after work or in the evening.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.