Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I earn some extra money on the side as an independent

Customer Question

I earn some extra money on the side as an independent contractor where I sell stuff from my home. I spent some money on advertising and used my boyfriend's credit card. I want to report the advertising costs as business expenses for this year's tax return. I have the receipts which show that the account is in my name but will the IRS ever request credit card statements? I'm concerned because the credit card statements are in my boyfriend's name but I paid for the advertising costs... we share income anyways but both file separately.Should I be worried if I report the advertising as business expenses even though the credit card that was used to pay is not in my name?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.
HelloIf you have the receipts for the account and they show paid that is all you need. The fact that you used someone else's card would not be looked at. The IRS would not ask for the credit card records.You should not be worried but you should retain your receipts.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.