Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

My boss gave me a check as bonus last year. The check is issued

Customer Question

my boss gave me a check as bonus last year. The check is issued by a company I have never known. The reason of getting this money is that I helped him voluntary on his business, and I did not get a tax bill for this money.
My question is should I claim this money as my income for the last year
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
HelloAn employee is limited as to what type of a gift an employer can give them. Cash and near-cash gifts or awards are always a taxable benefit for the employee. A near-cash item is one that functions as cash, such as a gift certificate or gift card, or an item that can be easily converted to cash, such as gold nuggets, securities, or stocks.Even if you and your employer look at this as a gift for your voluntary assistance, it is a payment.You should include the amount.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.